Thursday, April 18, 2013

Slow down

How do you follow through on the internal prompts to "Slow Down?" It seems impossible at times to turn off my thoughts. Which child needs their check up or dental visit, do I have any refills for our allergy medications, did I lock the door, don't forget to give Brownie his heart-worm medication, don't forget to mail out the "Thank You" cards, I should get some more stamps, I only have about twenty left. I need to send in this form or that, complete CE's, schedule parent-teacher conferences, follow through with volunteer commitments, return phone calls, study, clip coupons, renew my library books, review sight words with my kindergartener, play time/dinner time/bible study/ baths then an hour to complete my nightly aerobics, sweep, mop, wash, shine, rinse, swipe, swish, pick up, pack up, toss out and retrieve.

It goes on and on without ceasing. I want to slow down. I should be sleeping, I chastise my self, squeezing my eyes shut, purposefully implementing the sleep aid techniques I have dutifully taught others. It is like walking against the current. Remembering this thing and that, as various beeps and chimes mock my attempts to rest. I check my email on my smart phone, respond to a text, check Words with Friends and try to think of a word from the letters "u-u-u-e-i-and y." The minutes go by and I am struck with dread knowing that I will have to wake up in 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Thank God for coffee and the knowledge that time is in His hand. I want to remember that I should make careful use of my time and make sure that the things I spend my time on honor Him. Including cutting the tremendous amount of time I spend worrying and going over things in my head that I have written on scraps of paper, in my calendar and logged in my smartphone. Worrying is a true waste of time.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6
New King James Version (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment